Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lessons from the Goddess in Unexpected Places

A couple of days ago my 4 year old daughter had a Halloween parade at her preschool. She was a princess (and her nearly 3 month old brother a frog). Later that day, I looked at the dress she had worn (because she had ripped a piece of the hem during her day at school), and I had to take a second look, because I could hardly believe what I was seeing...or should I say WHOM I was seeing. I had seen this image before. There She was...a symbol of the Goddess...on my daughter's princess dress. I couldn't help but chuckle at this...the Goddess on a little girl's princess dress...what are the chances?

Today, I looked at the wallpaper on my computer screen, and read these words:
Hail Lady
Your presence is constant 
and ever-changing.
In birth and growth
In maturity and harvest
In aging and dying
In and in between worlds and lives
As the wheel turns your presence is
constant and ever-changing.
Blessed be.

"As the wheel turns, your presence is constant and ever-changing..." Why should it surprise me that She would appear on a little girl's princess dress? She is everywhere and in everything, through all stages of life, from the youngest to the oldest and everywhere in between. And all the better if she wants to make Her presence visible on my daughter's Halloween costume. What a wonderful opportunity to remind my daughter of the meaning behind Halloween (also called Samhain in our household)...that the Goddess is with us now, and just as She is with our ancestors, She will also be with us as we pass from this life into the next. Her "presence is constant and ever-changing." Blessed be.


No comments:

Post a Comment